Boxing News -- 24 hours/day - Reload often! Continuously updated all day, every day! Unlucky Friday the 13th for Camacho!
Molina outworks, outclasses Camacho

Ringside by Mariano A. Agmi
Photos by Marty Rosengarten /

In a jr. middleweight battle between Mexican nationals based in the U.S., Carlos Molina (15-4-1, 5 KOs) of Chicago, Ill., outworked and outclassed Alexis Camacho (17-2, 16 KOs) of Austin, Tex., over 10 rounds to win a clear unanimous decision at New York City’s Roseland Ballroom on ESPN2’s Friday Night Fights.

Round one was a feel-out round, as the harder punching Camacho attempted to impose his will on the shorter Molina, who used movement and a quick jab to keep his opponent honest.

Molina began countering well in round two, slipping right hands and landing regularly with left hooks and right hands.  It looked like it could be a long night for Camacho, as he failed to move his head to get away from Molina’s incoming and he appeared slow and lethargic when letting his hands go.

Camacho came out aggressively in round three, landing a heavy right hand but offering little else in offense.  Although it seemed that Camacho was the bigger puncher when he connected, Molina won the round on toughness and a left hook that landed flush as the round came to an end.

fightnews.comThe gap between the fighters continued to widen in the mid-rounds, as the 25-year-old Molina used superior ring generalship to weave in and out of Camacho’s range while firing lefts hooks, short rights and occasional uppercuts.  When on the inside, Molina was able to slip Camacho’s lazy right hands to land clean left hooks to the head, then immediately moving out of range.

By round eight, the fight looked like it was slipping away from the favorite, as Camacho looked increasingly frustrated, missing with left hooks and uppercuts.  Meanwhile, Molina scored with increasing regularity, landing right hands down the middle and punishing counter left hooks.  A three-punch combination at the end of the round pushed Camacho back into the ropes.  Molina proceeded to trap Camacho against the blue corner and he worked the body and head as the bell rang.

Camacho’s right eye began to redden and swell in round nine, as Molina’s confidence grew with each passing stanza.  Camacho landed occasional rights, but they were too few and far between to discourage his opponent.  Camacho also tried to launch his weapon of choice, the left uppercut, but usually from too far away for it to connect. 

The onslaught continued in round ten, as it began to look like Molina would knock Camacho down with his accurate counters.  To his credit, Camacho did attempt to land a big shot, but his punches were too telegraphed to catch Molina.  Molina finished the fight in complete control, as he dictated the distance, slipped punches and landed sharp counters, particularly his left hook.     

The judges accurately scored the bout, as John McKaie saw it 97-93, Tony Paolillo had it 98-92 and Don Trella scored the bout a shutout, 100-90, all for Carlos Molina. scored the bout 98-92 for the winner. 

Molina, who gave Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. all he could handle in a disputed draw in 2005, moves on to bigger and better things.  Molina has decent skills and is a solid test for any young prospect in the division.  Hopefully his handlers will also treat him like a prospect instead of an opponent in the future, as the Mexican welterweight has already shared the ring with the likes of Mike Alvarado and the aforementioned Chavez. 

ESPN2 has not been kind to Camacho, who lost by decision the last time he stepped up in competition, losing an eight-round unanimous decision to Terrance “The Heat” Cauthen.  If Camacho is to be considered a serious prospect, he must take steps to improve his defense and ring generalship.  The tough Texan was willing but not able to land effectively against his opponent and he seemed aware of his deficiencies by the middle rounds.

fightnews.comThe “New” Ray Robinson forces Darnell Jiles to quit after 3

The night’s co-feature was an interesting welterweight match-up between two undefeated southpaws, as an apparent right hand injury forced Darnell Jiles (8-1-1, 3 KOs) of Rochester N.Y., to stay on his stool after three completed rounds against the “New” Ray Robinson (10-0, 4 KOs) of Philadelphia, Pa. 

Round one was a contrast in styles, as the taller, lankier Robinson used his reach to his advantage against the speedy Jiles.  While Robinson landed stiff right jabs, Jiles countered with combinations to Robinson’s head and body in a close feel-out round. 

Round two featured more of the same, until a Robinson right hook caught Jiles’ attention in a mostly even round.  It seemed more and more that Robinson’s volume punching was nullifying Jiles’ speed, as Jiles was unsure of how to attack his taller, busy opponent. 

Robinson began putting his punches together well in round three, effectively landing right jabs and long left hands.  With about a minute left in the round, Robinson landed two monster right hands that stunned Jiles, backing him up against the ropes.  Robinson proceeded to hammer his opponent with a series of rights and lefts, displaying an ice-cold demeanor as he calmly unloaded big straight lefts against the blue corner until the bell sounded to end round 3.

Robinson was denied the opportunity to finish his wounded prey in round four, as Jiles elected not to come out for the start of the round due to a possibly broken right hand.  The end of the bout officially came after three completed rounds, with Robinson the victor by TKO.  

“I controlled the fight with my jab to the head and body and I got the job done,” said the young Philadelphian, “I didn’t go to the body when I had him hurt, and my trainer will let me hear about that later, but I’ll work on that,” added the modest young fighter.

fightnews.comRiley shuts out Jackson

In the televised opener of the night, Yathomas Riley of the Bronx, improved to 6-0 (3 KOs) as he battered Julius Jackson (2-3) of Cincinnati, Ohio, for 4 shutout rounds in another battle of southpaws.  

Only seconds into round one of the cruiserweight contest, Riley, 189 lbs., trapped Jackson, 189 lbs., in the neutral corner, unloading a series of devastating right hooks to Jackson’s head and body.   Riley’s barrage was incessant, as he unleashed vicious lefts and rights, finally dropping Jackson with a right hook to the head and a big left to the stomach.  Jackson was up by the count of eight, and Riley wasted no time in jumping on his opponent.  Determined to end the bout early, Riley landed a barrage of right hooks to the head and a stinging right to the body that dropped Jackson in delayed fashion for another eight-count.  Jackson was lucky that the knockdown came at the 10 second warning, as he was able to survive the round. 

Jackson attempted to put the prior round behind him in round two, as he worked behind an earmuff defense and worked to mount an attack of his own.  Jackson tried to pressure Riley, who responded by unloading with heavy right hooks to the head and body of his opponent.        

In round three, Riley disrupted Jackson’s rhythm by landing stiff right jabs followed by long lefts.  Jackson showed some resistance, but a head butt at the end of the round once again brought Jackson to his knees in pain (replays showed that it was a straight left hand, not a head butt, that hurt Jackson). 

The pummeling continued in round four, as Riley battered Jackson from post-to-post.  Despite not being able to hurt Riley, Jackson decided to live up to the “Warrior” tattoo on his back in the end, as he sustained tremendous punishment while looking too fatigued to mount an effective offense of his own. 

Frank Lombardi, John McKaie and Waleska Roldan saw the bout 40-34 for Yathomas Riley. agreed with the shutout score.

Other Action

In the swing bout of the night, southpaw Guillermo Sanchez (7-0, 2 KOs) of Buffalo, N.Y., displayed good reflexes and a long left hand to frustrate and outwork Eddie Irizarry (5-1, 2 KOs) of the Bronx.  The pro-Irizarry crowd did their best to motivate the hometown fighter, but it was not enough on this night, as Sanchez went on to win the jr. lightweight contest.  Judges Tony Paolillo, John McKaie, and Don Trella unanimously scored the bout 60-54, 59-55 and 58-56, respectively.

Middleweight Denis “Momma’s Boy” Douglin, of Morganville, N.J., was impressive in his pro-debut, blowing out Robert Irizarry (2-7) of Orlando, Fla.  Referee Steve Smoger halted a storm of punches at 1:45 of round one.

“Reluctant” Chris Ray (8-3, 8 KOs) of Fort Smith, Ark., apparently only showed up for his paycheck, as he allowed “Sergeant” Bryant Pappas (8-0, 8 KOs) to tee off on him while offering little to nothing in return.  After three knockdowns, Ray’s corner ended the literally effortless performance by throwing in the towel at 2:40 of round one.

In the opening bout, the other “Baby Bull,” Terrell Nelson (9-7, 6 KOs) of Plainfield, N.J., made his return to the Big Apple a successful one, as he landed a massive uppercut to set up a combination punctuated by a right hand to the head to knock Wes Taylor (7-13-1, 7 KOs) out at 2:13 of round two.


This card was promoted by Joe DeGuardia’s Star Boxing. 

2008 by