Boxing News -- 24 hours/day - Reload often! Continuously updated all day, every day!

www.FightWireImages.comChavez struggles for win
Montiel, Soto slaughter foes in Tijuana

Report by Felipe Leon
Photos by Chris Cozzone /

A festive crowd of over 18,000 fight fans, last night at he Plaza de Toros Monumental in the Playas suburb of Tijuana, Mexico, witnessed the son of legend Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (39-0-1, 29 KOs) struggle to capture the WBC Latino super welterweight title, with a ten-round unanimous decision over the surprisingly enduring Luciano Cuello (23-1, 10 KOs) of La Plata, Argentina.

The ten-round title fight topped off the Top Rank-promoted "Latin Fury 8-Tijuana Thunder” card televised on Pay-Per-View.

www.FightWireImages.comEarly in the first round, the Culiacan fighter began to land the family heirloom, the left hook to the body, throwing three-punch combos. The shorter Cuello, moving forward, landed his own set of hooks and short uppercuts when in close or when trapping Chavez against the ropes.

In the second, Cuello's ribs began to get tenderized and red by the constant left hook to the body from Chavez. The pressure began to mount for Cuello as Chavez began to get in a rhythm of jab-right hand and then, left hook to the mid section. At times, Jr. would add a right one for good measure. Cuello confusingly began to stand there and take the punishment, only offering a sporadic power punch to the body himself.

Early in the third, Cuello had a moment as he trapped Chavez against the ropes and landed a series of punches. Chavez took the action to the middle of the ring again and landed a right hand that bloodied the nose of Cuello. The blood flowing from Cuello's nose was almost as red as his right side of his torso from the constant body shots. Near the end of the round with his back to the corner, Chavez Jr. unleashed a left hook that wobbled Cuello and made the Argentinean utilize the shell defense. As Cuello felt that he was letting the fight slip away, he decided to exchange leather with Chavez Jr. until the end of the round to the delight of the pro-Chavez crowd.

www.FightWireImages.comIn his best round yet, Cuello bloodied the nose of Chavez Jr. in the fourth with a series of stiff jabs that helped push his opponent against the ropes. With nowhere for Chavez to go, Cuello was able to go to work to the midsection of Chavez with hooks and short uppercuts, occasionally venturing with a right hand to Chavez's face.

Chavez began to box in the fifth as Cuello continued to stalk him. Near the end of the round, Cuello threw a beautiful quick three-punch combination that although missing, caught Chavez's attention. With his nose beaten to a bloody pulp, Cuello stepped up the pace in the sixth and continued to attack Chavez's body with his own set of power left and right hooks. Chavez seemed to slow down considerably as he moved around the ring trying to avoid what was beginning to look like an unrelenting assault.

Chavez's fatigue began to become apparent in the seventh round as Cuello kept coming forward. Chavez, instead of meeting him in the center of the ring like in the earlier rounds, backed away, circling the ring and trying to keep the charging Cuello at bay.

In the eighth, the crowd began to show their displeasure at the mounting lack of action inside the ring. As soon as the jeers diminished, Chavez answered in turn with a hard combination in the inside to Cuello's chest and mid section. Chavez closed the round strong as Cuello's nose kept gushing out blood.

www.FightWireImages.comA new Chavez came out for the ninth as he began to attack the body again with renewed zeal while Cuello tried to stay inside the punches and attack the body as well. With his father, the legendary Julio Cesar Chavez Sr., giving him instructions in between rounds, Chavez again attacked the body trying to slow down Cuello. Cuello took the attack and responded with one of his own landing counter right hands over the left hook.

The last round began to get into a pulse as Chavez assaulted the body with two or three hooks and then Cuello responded with straight punches to the face enough to win him the round.

The ebb continued until the final bell of the tenth and final round.

Official scores were Lou Filippo 96-94 and Bleas 96-95. It was originally announced that Monique Rendon had seen the bout 98-92, the score was later corrected to a closer 97-93.

www.FightWireImages.comSoto destroys Davis

As the sun set and the temperature dropped inside the seaside venue, the fireworks began inside the ring in the supporting bouts as Humberto "Zorrita" Soto (47-7-2, 30 KOs) defended for the first time his WBC super featherweight title with a fourth round TKO over the previously unstopped Antonio Davis (26-5, 13 KOs), of Atlanta, Ga.

A tentative Davis walked into very hostile territory as he met Soto in the first round very fearful of what was to come. Barely committing to his punches, Davis tried to land a jabs from too far a range, prompting him to dip his head low. Soto attacked quickly landing a straight right hand that wobbled Davis. Later in the round, Soto connected with a left hook to the top the head of Davis which dropped the shorter fighter to the canvas. Davis was able to beat the count before the end of the round.

In the second, Davis began to let his hands go and began to crowd Soto towards the ropes. Soto tried to regain his distance and throw fast and hard combinations that seem to hurt Davis enough to put him on shaky legs but not enough to drop. 

www.FightWireImages.comIn the third, Davis' strategy comes to light as his intention was to crowd Soto enough so that the champion could not extend his punches tothe fullest, therefore minimizing his power. Soto began to seem frustrated as he was not able to give the zealous Mexican crowd want it wanted—a quick and impressive knock out.

The beginning of the fourth brought a jab contest for the first half of the round. That was all Soto needed to land a devastating right hand that diminished Davis into a heap on the canvas. Davis was able to get to his feet but only to meet another over hand right that sent him to the same destination.

The game Davis reached his feet again but only to be beaten by a flurry of punches that prompted referee Roberto Ramirez Jr. to step in between the fighters and wave off the bout.

Official time was 2:38 of the fourth round.

www.FightWireImages.comMontiel batters down Silva

Fernando "KOchulito" Montiel (39-2-1, 29 KOs) captured history as he became only the fourth Mexican fighter in history to earn three world titles in as many divisions by knocking out the overmatched Argentinean Diego Oscar Silva (24-2-3, 12 KOs), in the third round, to strap on the WBO bantamweight title around his waist.

The first round was uneventful as both fighters tried to find their range. Silva seemed the slight quicker at the two with his fists while Montiel was able to slip the majority of the punches thrown by the Argentinean.

In the second, Silva became more aggressive as he missed huge with a left hook. "KOchul" circled around effortlessly landing jabs at will. Midway thru the round, Montiel landed a crisp left hook to the nose of Silva that buckled the knees of Silva.

Near the end of the round, Montiel landed a devastating straight right hand that sent Silva smashing into the canvas. Silva beat the count and survived the stanza.

www.FightWireImages.comMontiel welcomed Silva to the third round with a bomb of a left hook that hurt Silva and sent him down to the canvas once again. Silva beat the count but looked worse for wear as he bled from the nose and mouth. Although Silva seemed to be ready to go, Montiel was patient as he bided his time for the opportunity to attack.

The time came soon enough as both fighters threw punches simultaneously, Montiel's right uppercut got there quicker dismantling Silva to the canvas. Referee Raul Caiz Sr. didn't bother to administer a count.

The time was 2:24 of the third round.

With the win, Montiel joins an elite group of Mexican champions that have won three world titles in as many divisions. Along with Montiel, Erik Morales, Marco Antonio Barrera and Julio Cesar Chavez Sr. have reached the milestone.

www.FightWireImages.comDiaz edges Castro

In the first bout of the PPV telecast, former title challenger Antonio Diaz (46-5-1, 29 KOs) banged out a steady workmanlike unanimous decision over late sub Javier Castro (19-2, 17 KOs). Originally slated to face off against two-time lightweight champion Jose Luis Castillo, Diaz had instead to battle the hard-hitting, less-experienced Castro.

The first round was one of study between Diaz and Castro although the Ciudad Juarez native was able to land a nice left hook to the body,  fallowed with an overhand right. Near the end of the round, Diaz had his payback with a right hand that seemed to stun Castro but "Zorro" answered right back with his own solid left hook to the chin that wobbled the former world title challenger. The pace slowed in the second and third round as both fighters tried to land power punches but to no avail. Midway thru the third, Diaz landed a quick combination of straight punches to the face of Castro. Soon after, Castro connected with a low blow which prompted Diaz to take a minute rest.

It became apparent by the fourth round that one of the fighters had to take the initiative and turn the sparring session into a fight. With a minute in, Diaz landed a straight right hand counter that got the attention of the once defeated Castro. Castro began to inch forward trying to go to the body but missing his mark and landing a low blow which Diaz complained about. In the fifth, things began to get ugly for Castro. As both fighters began to fight more on the inside landing their own series of uppercuts, Diaz's experienced rose to the surface as he coupled his punches with with a looping left hook that began to find its mark more consistently. Slowly but surely, the tide seemed to turn for Diaz.

www.FightWireImages.comCastro began the sixth round landing a sequence left/right hand combinations that found their mark upon the face of Diaz. Diaz was not deterred as he continued his attack on the body of Castro, landing hard uppercuts with either fist and his trusted weapon of choice, the left hook to the jaw.

Diaz began to throw and land more punches in the seventh seemingly slowing down and tearing down Castro with a constant body attack of power punches. Castro had his moments with straight right counter punches and his own set of left hooks but the less experienced began to show worry on his face.

More of the same in the eighth as it became apparent that Diaz's overwhelming ring experience over Castro was the difference in the bout. Castro continued to connect his own set of power punches to the body to slow down Diaz but his aim was off as he hit his opponent once again with a low blow, this time prompting referee Juan Morales Lee to deduct a point.

The tenth was a rough and tumble one as Castro behind on the card, made a final push to land something meaningful to stop Diaz. Near the end of the round, it seemed as Castro might of been on the same track but simply run out of time as he was able to finish the round with a flurry of punches.

Judge Jose Cobian saw it 95-94 while Juan Carlos Pelayo and Jose de la Mora saw it 96-93.
Preliminary bouts

Tijuana's KO artist Antonio "Canitas" Lozada Jr. (19-0, 16 KOS) was awarded a unanimous six-round decision over Tomas Sierra of Villa Nicolas Romero (4-9, 3 KOS), Mexico, in a lightweight bout. Lozada tried as he might for the now familiar KO, but Sierra gave as good as he got.
Adan Osuna (6-2-2, 2 KOs) defeated the unassuming Manuel Armendariz (0-14), both of Tijuana, near the end of the second round in a scheduled four-round bantamweight fight. Osuna dropped his opponent with a left hook to the body and, after a barrage of punches, seconds later, referee Guillermo Allon stopped the bout. Official time was 2:05.
In a rare showing of Mexican heavyweights, Andy Garcia of Mexicali, made his pro debut a good one as he handed Miguel Ramirez, also of Mexicali, his second loss with a hard right hand that sent Ramirez to the canvas for the full count. Time was :34 seconds of the first round.
In a four-round fight of flyweight first-timers, Antonio Margarito's brother-in-law, Hazel Martinez (1-0, 1 KOs) of Tijuana, dropped Jose Inez (0-1) of Guadalajara with a left hook to the body mid way thru the first round en route to a 1st round TKO. Official time was 1:42.
Tijuana flyweight Arturo Badillo (15-0, 13 KOs) stopped Lisandro De Los Santos (6-1, 2 KOs) of Sonora at the 1:17 mark of the third round of a scheduled four rounds. Badillo (15-0, 13 KOs) controlled the action with sound boxing skills.
Walkout bouts

In an eight-round supermiddleweight bout, Rigoberto Alvarez (22-0, 16 KOs), of Guadalajara, scored a sixth-round TKO over crafty Eduardo Ayala (17-25-4, 8 KOs), of Navojoa, Sonora. Southpaw Alvarez pursued Ayala, round after round, trying to find a home for his straight left. Finally, in the sixth, he was able to find a home for his punch, prompting Ayala to call it quits ten seconds into the sixth.

Up-and-coming middleweight Rogelio "Porky" Medina (17-0, 14 KOs) of San Luis Rio Colorado, did not impress on his way to a workmanlike and, at times, very slow moving unanimous decision win over late sub from Los Mochis, Cristian Solano (22-16-4, 16 KOs) in an eight-round middleweight bout. The hard hitting Medina tried as he might to break down his opponent but Solano proved his experience was enough to survive on his feet.
Super welterweight Carlos Nascimento (22-1, 19 KOs) of Tijuana by way of Sao Paulo, Brazil, made quick work of overmatched, overweight Angel Navarrete (10-12, 6 KOs), stopping him with a grazing right hand to the cheek. Navarrete, of Mexico City, seemed that he would recover quickly, but then had to be attended by the ringside paramedics for several minutes. Official time was 1:25 of the first round of a scheduled six.
Bonus photos

* * * * *

For more coverage on the San Diego/Tijuana scene, please check out


2009 by