Boxing News -- 24 hours/day - Reload often! Continuously updated all day, every day!

Primm goes primeval

Ringside report & photos by Chris Cozzone

As part of a three-day bash of beatdowns and boxing, Roy Englebrecht Events and Primm Valley Resort Casino held a seven-bout card last night at Buffalo Bill’s Star of the Desert Arena in Primm, Nev.

The night before, Cuban Yuriorkis Gamboa had battered down Jose Rojas before a crowd of 4,600—and an afternoon of Lucha Libra was on deck for Sunday.

Last night’s bouts gathered a half-capacity attendance that witnessed four bouts of boxing and three MMA matches, though the highlight of the night was probably the introduction of “Ferocious” Fernando Vargas. The former world champ, more than a few pounds over his old fighting weight, danced a few steps to mariachi music before signing autographs.

In boxing action, youngsters from California and Las Vegas were matched up.

In the opening bout, junior lightweight Arquimedez Garcia (3-0-1, 2 KOs), from Santa Ana, Calif., needed just a minute-and-12 to take out Manuel Delgado (1-3), of Riverside, Calif.

After 20 seconds of feeling each other out, Garcia unleashed a right hand that nearly tore Delgado’s head off his shoulders. Delgado’s body absorbed the shockwave, folding to the canvas, though he as able—barely—to make the count.

Garcia rushed him for the kill, staggered him with a right hand, and Referee Jay Nady stepped between the two, waving it off at 1:12.

In the second boxing match, another four-rounder at 130 lbs., Las Vegas’ Johnny Frazier (2-0-1, 2 KOs) and Rynell Griffin (3-1-1, 1 KO), of Bridge City, La., fought a majority draw.

The southpaw Griffin slapped his way through most of round one, but Frazier came alive in the last minute, bombing his foe with big rights. In the next round, Frazier took over and, in the best exchange of the night, absorbed a tremendous right hook from Griffin, only to answer back with a bomb of a right hand that staggered his foe.

Griffin’s slicker boxing won him the third, over a tiring Frazier, but in the last round, Frazier’s heavier clouting edged him the round.

One judge had it 39-37 for Frazier, while two scored it a draw, 38-38.

Fightnews had it 38-38.

A four-rounder at jr. welterweight followed, Ignacio Garcia (2-1-1), of Riverside, Calif., outpointing Isauro Tapia (1-1-1), of Bellflower, Calif.

Round one was competitive, with Tapia landing the harder punches, but Garcia slightly busier. The match became a sloppy slugfest—more of a shove and slapfest, really—in the second.

In the third, Garcia edged the round by landing the harder, and more frequent slaps. In the fourth, it was only the absence of masks that confirmed this was boxing and not a Lucha Libre match scheduled for Sunday, for the two pushed and pulled at one another.

After four, the judges ruled it unanimously for Garcia, 40-36 and 39-37 twice. Fightnews was in agreement, with 39-37 Garcia.

In the final boxing bout of the evening, this one at middleweight, Paul Mendez (2-0, 2 KOs) of Bakersfield, Calif., took out late sub and ill-equipped debuter Victor Medina (0-1) with a moment to spare, scoring a kayo win at 2:59 of round four.

Medina was game but outmatched, and it was only Mendez’s apparent lack of firepower that enabled the gasping sub to last as long as he did. Mendez put in his rounds, easily outboxing the tiring Mendez until, in the final round, he stepped on the gas just as Medina ran out of gas, flooring his foe in the corner.

Unable to get up, exhausted and battered from the final beatdown, Medina was counted out at 2:59.


Bonus photos


2009 by