Boxing News -- 24 hours/day - Reload often! Continuously updated all day, every day!

www.Fightnews.comBradley, Alexander win

Ringside by Francisco Salazar
Photography by “Big” Joe Miranda

Timothy Bradley left the ring on Saturday night as the winner of his world title bout against Nate Campbell. The real question might be how long the outcome will stand.

Bradley retained his world title before a sold-out crowd of 2,380 at the Agua Caliente Casino Resort & Spa in Rancho Mirage, Calif. The bout ended when a cut opened over Campbell’s left eye, which did not allow him to continue.

The bout headlined an eight round card, presented by Gary Shaw Productions and Thompson Boxing Promotions.

Bradley was defending his world title that he won in his last fight over Kendall Holt in April. On top of being favored to win the bout against Campbell, Bradley was fighting near his hometown of Palm Springs, about 10 minutes away.

Campbell was fighting for a world title for the first time at 140 pounds after being a lightweight world champion for many years. He made the move up in weight because of his difficulties at fighting at 135 pounds, as was evident in his title defense against Ali Funeka. Before the fight, Campbell vowed to defeat Bradley, based on his experience and punching power. Boasting of confidence, Bradley vowed that he would allow Campbell get to him in a war of words.

www.Fightnews.comBoth fighters sized each other up as the bout began. Campbell attempted to counter Bradley with right hands and left hooks to the body. Bradley moved in and out, landing combinations to the body, hoping to break down the body of the 37 year old Campbell.

In the third round, Bradley began to find more of a comfort zone, applying more pressure onto Campbell. Bradley continued to move in and out, throwing and landing combinations to the body.

During an exchange, Campbell backed away and looked at referee David Mendoza, claiming he was butted. Sensing he might be hurt, Bradley went on the attack, pinning Campbell against the ropes and landing to the head and body. Campbell tried to cover up and counter at the same time.

A cut opened up over Campbell’s left eye and blood began to drip down, possibly impairing his vision. When the round ended, Campbell went back to his corner, claiming he had problems seeing out of his eye because of blood falling into it.

It was then that Mendoza waved the fight over as he took into account what the ringside physician and Campbell said to him. As Bradley celebrated with his handlers, Campbell vehemently protested to Mendoza and pretty much, to anyone who would listen to him. Campbell claimed that the cut was opened by an accidental head butt. Television replays seem to back up Campbell’s protest.

www.Fightnews.comBy rules of the California State Athletic Commission, when a fight is stopped on an accidental cut before four rounds are complete, it is ruled a no contest. However, Mendoza ruled that the fight was stopped because Campbell could not continue because of a cut caused by a punch and not a butt.

“Both were head butting each other,” said Mendoza, a California judge who has served as referee and judge for a number of years. “The head butt produced no blood, but I saw blood come out after a punch landed for Bradley.”

Campbell refutes Mendoza’s claims.

“You know I have never complained about a defeat in my career,” said Campbell, who left the ring disgusted after the decision was announced. “So you know that there is a problem if I am complaining about this decision.”

Bradley obviously had a different take to Campbell’s statements.

“He showed his true face here,” said Bradley, who is promoted by Gary Shaw Productions and Thompson Boxing Promotions. “I was just doing my job in there. He was getting older as the bout was continuing. It was just a matter of time.”

Asked about a rematch, Bradley responded, “I would fight him in a heartbeat. That would be easy money for me.”

Although Campbell looked to get the wrong end of the deal, one would have to agree with Bradley. He looked like he was going to increase his punch output and aggression as the bout progressed, making things difficult for Campbell.

Bradley, from Palm Springs, CA, goes to 25-0, 12 KOs. Campbell, from Jacksonville, FL, drops to 33-6-1, 25 KOs.

www.Fightnews.comAlexander stops Witter

In the co-feature bout, Devon Alexander scored a technical knockout after the eighth round when Junior Witter refused to come out, citing an injury to his left hand. With the victory, Alexander won a vacant world title.

Both were fighting for the vacant title that Bradley vacated after the Holt fight. Bradley refused to fight Alexander, who was the number one contender entering this bout, because of bigger paydays and his beliefs that Alexander was not worthy of being a No. 1 contender.

Witter was hoping to regain the title that he lost to Bradley in May of last year.

At times, both fighters traded in the center of the ring. Other times, the bout was sloppy as Alexander moved in, but would get tied up by Witter.

www.Fightnews.comWitter continued to counter the southpaw Alexander, who was busier. Witter would continuously switch from a conventional to a southpaw stance throughout the fight with mixed results. Fighting from a conventional style, Witter landed more and was able to make Alexander miss. From a southpaw stance, Witter was hit often and would miss when he attempted to land.

It was in the southpaw stance that Witter was wobbled from a left hand by Alexander. Witter did his best to grab Alexander as he tried to recover from the punch.

As the bout continued, Alexander pressed the action as Witter tried to counter with one punch to the head, mostly missing with those punches.

After the eighth round, referee Dr. Lou Moret stopped the bout at the suggestion of Witter’s corner. Later, it was revealed that Witter was injured.

In the eyes of the judges, the bout was one-sided. All three judges had Alexander ahead, with scores of 79-73, 79-73, and 80-72. had the bout scored 79-73 in favor of Alexander at the time of the stoppage.

Alexander, from St. Louis, improves to 19-0, 12 KOs. Witter, from Sheffield, England, drops to 37-3-2, 22 KOs.

King upsets Tupou

In a major upset, Heavyweight Bowie Tupou was stopped in the second round of a scheduled eight round bout at the hands of Demetrius King.

Both fighters traded heavy shots from the opening bell. As King was pinned against the ropes, he landed a counter right hand to the head that dropped Tupou. On shaky legs, Tupou stood up and was saved by the bell to end the round.

Tupou had still not recovered at the beginning of the second round. King went right at Tupou. King dropped Tupou with an accumulation of punches to the head. Tupou got up and tried to hold, but was defenseless against the ropes. Referee Ray Corona saw enough and stepped in to stop the bout at 57 seconds.

King, from Flint, MI, goes to 15-17, 13 KOs. Tupou, from Los Angeles, CA by way of Nuku’alofa, Tonga, drops to 18-1, 14 KOs.

West decisions Andrews

Female Bantamweight Kaliesha West won a hard-fought six round unanimous decision over Rolanda Andrews.

The bout was fought in close and both fighters had their moments. However, West began to control the action in the second half of the fight. West landed the more effective punches as Andrews hung in there tough.

All three judges scored the bout in favor of West, with scores of 59-55, 59-55, and 58-56. scored the bout 58-56 in favor of West.

West, from Moreno Valley, CA, improves to 11-1, 2 KOs. Andrews, from Atlanta, GA, drops to 8-8-1, 4 KOs.

Jackson decisions Hernandez

Lightweight John Jackson scored a 10-round unanimous decision over Carlos Hernandez.

Jackson scored two flash knockdowns in the fight, one in the seventh and one in the 10th round. Hernandez was game and pressed the action, but Jackson was the more polished fighter of the two.

All three judges scored the bout in favor of Jackson with scores of 97-91, 97-91 and 97-92.

Jackson, from Miami, FL, improves to 15-1, 13 KOs. Hernandez, from nearby Indio, CA, falls to 14-8-1, 5 KOs.

Lopez stops Utorov in 16

Featherweight Abraham Lopez needed just 16 seconds to stop Edward Utorov in a scheduled six round bout.

Lopez landed a right to the head followed by a left hook to the body. Referee Ray Corona waved the fight over after Utorov lay sprawled on the canvas.

Lopez, from East Los Angeles, goes to 8-0, 7 KOs. The Russian-born Utorov, now living in Las Vegas, NV, falls to 7-10, 3 KOs.

Herrera remains unbeaten

Super Welterweight Alberto Herrera remained unbeaten with a first round stoppage over an overmatched John Red Tomahawk.

Herrera (4-0, 3 KOs) was in complete control as he dropped Tomahawk (3-5, 3 KOs) down twice to the canvas. Referee Jack Reiss mercifully stopped the bout seconds before the end of the first round.

Arellano stops Moreno

Super Bantamweight Jonathan Arellano (2-0, 1 KO) stopped Fernando Moreno, who was making his professional debut in the second round of a scheduled four round bout.

Arellano dropped Moreno once in the first round and twice in the second before referee Ray Corona stepped in and stopped the bout at 2:49.

Ringside notes

- Heavyweight contender Chris Arreola, Super Welterweight champion Cory Spinks, Super Welterweight contender Alfredo Angulo, Super Lightweight Josesito Lopez, former world champion Erik Morales, former contender Steve Quinones, and Hall of Fame catcher Johnny Bench took in the action from ringside.

- Due to the response from the Coachella Valley, promoter Gary Shaw told Fightnews that he would like to return to promote a card. Shaw is eyeing a return to the Agua Caliente Casino Resort & Spa in December.

- Ring announcer was Jimmy Lennon, Jr.


2008 by