Ortiz takes out Alatorre
Ringside by Francisco Salazar
Photography by “Big” Joe Miranda
Welterweight Victor Ortiz wanted to build momentum for a proposed fight against Nate Campbell. Despite an injury suffered to his right hand in his bout against Hector Alatorre on Thursday night, Ortiz was able to do just that, Thursday night at Club Nokia in Los Angeles.
“Let’s do it,” said Ortiz, regarding a match-up with Campbell.
After scoring a 10th round knockout over Alatorre in front of a sold-out crowd, a bout with Campbell could materialize during the upcoming summer. In the boxing world, one could only assume the bout would be later than sooner.
The Ortiz-Alatorre bout headlined a seven-bout “Fight Night Club” card, presented by Golden Boy Promotions.
It was only eight months ago that Ortiz suffered a knockout defeat at the hands of world champion Marcos Maidana. That bout, which took place across the street at Staples Center in front of a large pro-Ortiz crowd, was supposed to be Ortiz’ coming-out party, but left fight fans and boxing insiders wondering how Ortiz could missed an opportunity at becoming a world champion.
Moving on from that June bout, he wanted his bout against Alatorre, once a prospect and now struggling to win bouts, to springboard him back into title contention. Prior to the Alatorre bout, Ortiz was coming off a seventh round stoppage victory over Antonio Diaz in December.
The southpaw Ortiz began the bout from the outside, as Alatorre pressed the action. Ortiz landed left hands down the middle, some flush on the chin that Alatorre took well.
Ortiz attempted to counter as Alatorre tried to mix it up on the inside. However, Alatorre utilized good head movement and used angles in order to not allow Ortiz to land anything flush.
“I stayed away and tried to use my distance,” said Ortiz, who admitted he hurt his right hand in the third round. “He was a tough fighter who could take a punch. I’ve never seen him and I didn’t know too much about him.”
As Ortiz was able to box and counter Alatorre through the first four rounds, he came on aggressively and took the fight to Alatorre in the fifth round. A series of left hands scored for Ortiz. Alatorre once again took the punches well, even motioning with his hands for Ortiz to come at him after he was hit.
Ortiz began attacking the body more, landing around the soft midsection of Alatorre and following it up with one punch to the head.
As Ortiz began to throw more combinations, a cut opened below the right eye of Alatorre. Even though Ortiz was able to land more, Alatorre fought back, even landing a few right hands to the head of Ortiz.
The end came in the 10th as Ortiz stunned with a right-left combination to the head. Ortiz followed with a right uppercut to the head of Alatorre, dropping him to the seat of his pants. Alatorre stood up, but somewhat staggered to his corner, prompting referee David Mendoza to stop the fight at 51 seconds.
“This guy could take a punch and he was shorter, so I had to not get inside so much,” analyzed Ortiz, who became the first fighter to stop Alatorre in his career. “I created distance. Once I started connecting, coach (Danny Garcia) told me to test him out and then go in for the kill.”
Now Ortiz is expected to face Nate Campbell, who is coming off a no contest bout against world champion Timothy Bradley. The bout could be made without any problems as both Ortiz and Campbell are promoted by Golden Boy Promotions. However, the injury to Ortiz’ hand may hinder the timetable as to when this proposed bout could take place.
Ortiz, from Ventura, CA, goes to 26-2-1, 21 KOs. Alatorre, from Tulare, CA, drops to 16-9, 5 KOs
Huerta decisions De Leon
In the co-feature bout, featherweight Charles Huerta won a six round majority decision over Guadalupe De Leon.
It was an interesting match up on paper as both fighters had a common opponent with different results. Huerta suffered the only defeat of his career against Derrick Wilson last year. In turn, Wilson lost his unbeaten record to De Leon, who snapped a seven-bout losing streak.
De Leon started the bout well, countering Huerta with right hands to the head. De Leon went at the larger Huerta, hoping to back him up and attacking the body in the process.
Huerta landed a right-left combination that momentarily stunned De Leon in the second round. Huerta was not able to follow up and De Leon was able to recover.
Huerta controlled the action in the middle rounds. Both landed a hard counter right and left hands, but Huerta’s punches looked the more effective of the two.
Although De Leon’s face was bruised, he came back in the fifth round. De Leon was able to out hustle Huerta, landing straight right hands to the head. There were sequences where De Leon would beat Huerta to the punch.
In the final stanza, Huerta finished strong. Huerta landed the more telling blows and looked the fresher of the two fighters as De Leon slowed down considerably.
One judge scored the bout 57-57, while the other two judges scored the bout 58-56 and 59-55 in favor of Huerta. Fightnews.com scored the bout 57-57.
“It was a tough fight, but then again, that’s the type of fight I wanted,” said Huerta, who has fought his last four bouts at Club Nokia at L.A. Live. “I didn’t expect an easy fight from him. I wanted to box more, but I ended up fighting.”
Huerta, from Paramount, CA, goes to 13-1, 6 KOs. De Leon, from Mission, TX, falls to 8-10, 4 KOs.
Ramos decisions veteran Estrada
Lightweight Luis Ramos won a four round unanimous decision over former world title challenger Walter Estrada.
It was a classic case of an unbeaten fighter taking on a veteran fighter. Estrada did not back down from the younger fighter, even though Ramos was the more polished and the quicker fighter of the two.
Estrada tried to land straight left hands behind a jab. He attempted to brawl his way on the inside, landing very little effective punches. Instead of fighting Estrada’s fight, Ramos maintained his composure and countered effectively. Ramos worked the body of Estrada as both fighters got in close.
Towards the end of the fight, Ramos got careless, leaving himself open at times when he exchanged punches with Estrada. Still, Ramos did enough to win at the expense of Estrada.
All four judges, including Fightnews.com, scored the bout 40-36.
“It was a tough fight, but I felt good,” said Ramos, who turns 22 in May. “It felt weird having the fight go from six to four rounds. Even though I trained hard and I got the victory, I felt the layoff (five months) got to me. I will do anything to get a “W.”
Ramos, from Santa Ana, CA, improves to 14-0, 7 KOs. Estrada, from Barranquilla, Colombia, drops to 35-12, 24 KOs.
Dargan stops Lugo
Lightweight Karl Dargan stopped the normally-durable Jose Alfredo Lugo after the fourth round of a scheduled six round bout.
Dargan boxed effectively from the outside, fighting behind a jab and following it up with right hands. Lugo, who has recently been on the short end against up and coming fighters, pressed the action. Lugo attempted to find openings against Dargan’s defense.
Dargan picked up the aggression in the third round, landing hard hooks and cross to the head. Lugo was stunned at times, but was in no danger of going down. Instead, he tried to fight back, but was overwhelmed by the swarm of punches by Dargan.
Picking up where he left off in the third, Dargan was also in control in the fourth round. Dargan did not let up, consistently beating Lugo to the punch. As soon as the round ended, referee David Mendoza consulted with the ringside physician, who recommended that the bout be stopped. Mendoza waved the fight over to save Lugo from more punishment.
Dargan, from Philadelphia, PA, improves to 7-0, 3 KOs. Lugo, from Los Mochis, Sinaloa, Mexico, drops to 10-13-1, 6 KOs.
Vargas stops Luna
In a battle of unbeaten fighters, Welterweight Jessie Vargas stopped Robert Luna in the first round of a scheduled six round bout.
Vargas dropped Luna with a vicious left hook about 45 seconds into the first round. After Luna got up, Vargas dropped Luna again with another left hook. Although Luna got up and tried to fight back, Vargas dropped Luna a third and final time with a right hand to the head. Referee Dr. James Jen-Kin stepped in and stopped the bout at 1:56.
Vargas, from Los Angeles, CA, goes to 9-0, 4 KOs. Luna, from San Antonio, TX, drops to 5-1, 3 KOs.
Molina wins walkout bout
In the walkout bout of the evening, Carlos Molina won a four round unanimous decision over Hensley Strachan.
Molina scored a knockdown in the first round with a left hand to the head. The stronger and more physical Molina imposed his will on Strachan, landing the more effective punches to the head and body. Strachan was in survival mode, only throwing one punch at a time and holding on to Molina during a majority of exchanges until the final bell.
All three judges, including Fightnews.com, scored the bout 40-35.
Molina, from Norwalk, CA, goes to 11-0, 6 KOs. Strachan, from Nassau, the Bahamas, falls to 5-6-1, 1 KO.
Lopez decisions Ramos
Junior Featherweight Ricky Lopez struggled with Hugo Ramos before winning a close four round unanimous decision.
Ramos took the fight to Lopez, scoring with uppercuts and wild right hands to the head. Lopez, more athletic and polished than Ramos, countered right hands to the head. Lopez went to the body of Ramos, in an attempt to slow and break down Ramos.
Although Lopez was in control for a majority of the bout, he would have been better served using a jab as Ramos at times caught him with right hands to the head.
All three judges, including Fightnews.com, scored the bout 39-37.
Lopez, from Oxnard, CA, improves to 7-0, 2 KOs. Ramos, from Palm Springs, CA, falls to 2-5-2, 1 KO.
- Promoter Oscar De La Hoya, interim world champion Alfredo Angulo, Featherweight contender Daniel Ponce De Leon, unbeaten Bantamweight Abner Mares, Super Middleweight Librado Andrade, Light Heavyweight Enrique Ornelas, Featherweight Ronny Rios, home run king Barry Bonds, and actors Erik Estrada and Tyrese Gibson, and television host Mario Lopez took in the action from ringside.
- The next “Fight Night Club” card will take place on Thursday, March 25th. Unbeaten Bantamweight Abner Mares and Featherweight Ronny Rios will fight in separate bouts. Tickets are available at Ticketmaster and at Nokia Theater outlets. For more information, contact Golden Boy Promotions at (213) 489-5631.
- All fighters came out onto the stage, which was where the ring was set up, and were introduced to the crowd ala lineup announcements.