Pacquiao, fans unfulfilled; Marquez, Bradley or Judah next
Story and photos by Chris Cozzone
Sixteen-and-a-half thousand fans weren’t the only ones dissatisfied with last night’s overhyped showdown between Manny Pacquiao and “Sugar” Shane Mosley.
You can add Pacquiao to the list of the unfulfilled that included everyone but camera hound Paris Hilton, who nearly upstaged the pound-for-pound champ at the late-night postfight presser.
“I did my best to try and fight toe-to-toe with him,” Pacquiao told the media. “I think he just wanted to finish the 12 rounds. He felt my power and I was surprised that he ran and ran and ran.”
Surviving a third round knockdown, Mosley avoided Pacquiao’s invitations to fight over the course of 12 less-than-thrilling rounds. Scorecards had Pacquiao winning a near shutout, with scores of 119-108, 120-108 and 120-107.
“I am upset, of course,” said Pacquiao. “I’m happy because I won the fight, but my first concern was to make the fans happy. I don’t care if I get hurt, as long as I give a good fight. But he felt my power – what can I do if my opponent doesn’t want to fight me? The people know that I’m trying to do my best.”
Though it did not appear to limit his aggression and attempts to turn the track meet into a fight, Pacquiao complained of leg cramps.
“My legs tightened up during the fourth and it was hard to chase him,” he said. “It’s the same thing that happened to me against (Juan Manual) Marquez.”
Other complaints came from Mosley, who cited a right foot injury and avoided admitting he was merely trying to survive against Pacquiao.
“I fell short, I guess,” was the understatement of the night from Mosley. “He was very strong, fast and unpredictable. Manny has good punching power – he truly is the pound for pound king.”
When asked if he’d been unable to act on openings, Mosley said, “There were shots I saw but they could’ve been traps.”
Mosley said the knockdown in round three had, both, surprised and hurt him, but that the late Vernon Forrest had been more devastating. He was also reluctant to answer who would win in a battle of pound-for-pound champs – Pacquiao or Floyd Mayweather, Jr.
“It would probably be pretty interesting,” he said.
There were no surprise announcement of retirement; only that Mosley would take a vacation next to “enjoy the fruits of my labor.”
After the post-fight presser, Pacquiao was off the Mandalay Bay for a concert.
JMM is Arum’s choice
With no contract for a rematch, thank God, Manny Pacquiao’s next fight has already been given a date of either Nov. 5 or 12 in Las Vegas. What hasn’t been decided yet, is the opponent.
“Marquez is our first choice,” said Arum, who explained that, first, Golden Boy had the option to match the offer.
“They have a right to match what we offer – unlike them, we respect contracts. We don’t steal fighters.”
Though Arum does not expect Golden Boy to match their offer, he says if the long-awaited third fight between Pacquiao and Marquez fails to materialize, Timothy Bradley or Zab Judah would be likely candidates.